login info & promos join!

Forums > Writing > Fan Fiction?

New Topic|Reply

Ask me Anything
Tom
I was just reading an article about how Hugh Howie encourages people to write spinoffs of his Wool series and I was reading some of the reviews on Amazon on these works. Most of it is favorable, but there are some who are DEAD SET against it. What are your thoughts as a writer. How would you feel if someone ran with your idea?

2015 Aug 29 07:08 am |Quote

Ask me Anything
Tom
Here is a link to an article in the WSJ about Fan Fiction:
2013 Dec 05 03:12:07 pm | Quote

Author
Richard H Wood
I'm pretty close to my characters and have taken great pains over 12 books to hone their personalities.  I don't know if I'd trust someone with them ... to know how they'd think and react in situations.  Don't get me wrong, I'd be flattered of someone wanted to but I don't know if I'd allow them to use the five or six main characters in anything more than a cameo appearance.  Using the world/universe I've built and adhering to the rules of that universe is something I could probably get behind though.
2013 Dec 12 01:12:45 pm | Quote

Ask me Anything
Tom
Quote:
I'm pretty close to my characters and have taken great pains over 12 books to hone their personalities.  I don't know if I'd trust someone with them ... to know how they'd think and react in situations.  Don't get me wrong, I'd be flattered of someone wanted to but I don't know if I'd allow them to use the five or six main characters in anything more than a cameo appearance.  Using the world/universe I've built and adhering to the rules of that universe is something I could probably get behind though.

Would you be okay with spinoffs with minor characters like the Runner series - a Wool spinoff?
2013 Dec 13 03:12:24 am | Quote

Author
Richard H Wood
Quote:
Quote:

Would you be okay with spinoffs with minor characters like the Runner series - a Wool spinoff?

Oh yeah.  There are a quite a few minor characters I would love to explore more deeply myself but after 15 books in the series (4 more coming over the next few years) I didn't want to beat a dead horse, so to speak.  I wouldn't mind someone going down that road as long as they played by my rules.  They'd have to adhere to the general story arc and take the history of the series into account (the series spans 200 years in the history of one family).  Like I said before, I'd be quite flattered.
2013 Dec 13 04:12:49 am | Quote

Author
Logan Thomas Snyder
I'm a WOOL author, myself (The Disappeared -- A Silo Story). I know a lot of the other WOOL authors and they're great people and authors. We're like a writer family in a lot of ways; some of us are even putting together an anthology of original silo stories called the WOOL Gathering with all proceeds benefitting NaNoWriMo. And that's the key word: original. Most of us actually write entirely original stories with original characters within the established confines of the Silo Saga universe. Some are a bit more fantastical, some a bit more practical, but we do our best to respect Hugh's vision and the architecture of his world. Even the authors who do write bigger and broader stories featuring Hugh's characters have done so with his permission and enthusiasm, and they're all fantastic. And ultimately, that's what makes Hugh such an awesome person, an author's author, if you will: I've said it in every one of my acknowledgements, but I'll continue to thank him now and forever for being so gracious as to let all of us author-fans come and play in his sandbox. It's an incredibly fearless thing to do, and I respect the hell out of it. That's why those of us who choose to write in his world take the responsibility of it so seriously. I hope this comment helps everyone going forward, but by all means, don't let it be the last word. I'd love to hear from readers and authors alike on this topic, I think it's great. -- LTS
2014 Feb 02 01:02:50 pm | Quote

Author
Heinrich Gothrykke
I'd be 100% okay with it. One of my favorite things to do is inspire the works of others.
2014 Jun 14 07:06:39 pm | Quote

Author
Brent Meske
allowing fan fiction leads to bad fan fiction. Bad fan fiction leads to erotic fan fiction, and when you're a YA author that means someone's writing pedo fantasy material and... being immoral/illegal with it. 

This is the path to the dark side.

There is a light side to the fan fiction universe, but I'd rather resist allowing my characters to enter the dark side.
2014 Jul 02 04:07:29 pm | Quote

Author
Jonathan Bergeron
I think Howey should go the Star Wars route with his Wool universe. He's the one who thought it all up, if not for his vision the fanfic of it wouldn't be here; so why not license it. He could put all the licensing money into a marketing fund which would be used to boost his brand awareness even more, which means those people writing fanfic also would make more sales equaling more money.

It's what I would LOVE happen to my Android Hunters universe. I would love people to write fanfic for it. It means more than just me loves the ideas and books.
2015 Jan 23 05:01:00 am | Quote

Author
Danielle Freeman
I don't really mind if people write fan fiction, make fan comics, create fan games, or do fan art of my work. In fact, I hope they do! Fan works are a great way for budding creators to cut their teeth and strengthen their creative muscles early on, and experienced creators can get a lot out of doing fan works as creative exercises too. Not only that, but a lot of jobs in creative fields involve helping to bring someone else's vision to life or keeping a long-runner going, so if one wants to be a professional with a guaranteed steady income, learning to work within the framework of someone else's style or universe is a must.

My only hope for when people start making fan works of my stories is that they try to be discreet with the "Rule 34" content...if you get my drift. I mean, I know people are going to do it, I just hope that they'll at least be tactful about distributing it. ð???
2015 Feb 01 12:02:06 pm | Quote

Author
Patrick Stutzman
I would have to play the George Lucas card with my works. I would love for them to do so, but I would want to review them to make sure the characters and elements of the stories remain consistent with the universe I have created.
2015 Aug 29 07:08:54 am | Quote

main | browse | events | forums | shout | info & promos |contact admin| join!

© 1998 - 2017 Kindle Mojo! All Rights Reserved.

issues signing up| Lost password?